Auburn vs. Georgia: Inside the South's Oldest Rivalry
There’s a long legacy of hate, passion and general bad blood between these schools. But have you ever considered why? (UPDATED)
Have you ever wondered why your grandfather, a true Auburn man, always spits before AND after mentioning the city of Athens, Georgia? Why your second cousin still has outstanding warrants in the state next door for brawling after a particularly heated post-game argument? Maybe that’s just me. But I’ve got a lot of older relatives that absolutely hate Georgia — some even consider them to be worse than that other red team up north.
That’s right, it’s Georgia hate week. And below, I’ve compiled 27 reasons why Georgia is the absolute worst. For the full effect, play this in the background while you read. Let’s begin.
- Some supporters actually refer to the team as “jaw-juh”. At least, that’s what it sounds like they’re saying.
- They legitimately believe Herschel Walker was as good as Bo.
- They couldn't beat Florida (until Kirby came to town).
- They fired Coach Mark Richt after a 10-3 season, even though he’s basically the smartest human ever.
- They (with the help of then-UGA player Pat Dye) basically stole an SEC championship from us in 1959.
- They are sore winners — especially after the game in 1986 when they desecrated Jordan-Hare.
- Those awful blackout jerseys. Remember when Alabama beat them so badly that they unofficially retired those jerseys for nearly a decade? Literally the only okay thing that happened in the entire 2008 season.
- This guy.
- The unbearably generic mascot. Really? More bulldogs? Don’t we have enough? They’re not intimidating, creative or cute. A decent mascot should possess at least one of those attributes.
- Uga. That’s what they named that poor, innocent dog. According to Wikipedia, it’s pronounced “UH-guh,’ which just sounds like the name of the caveman from those Geico commercials.
- Did I mention they bury all the former Ugas inside Sanford stadium? Yikes.
- It’s just a party school. Actually, never mind: this might be the only positive thing about Georgia.
- Kirby Smart has never beaten Georgia Tech.
- Last year’s Georgia season was a bigger letdown than biting into an oatmeal raisin cookie when you think it’s chocolate chip.
- They haven’t won a national championship since 1980. That’s like forever ago. There are grandparents alive today that have never seen a UGA title. Ouch.
- And they haven’t won an SEC championship since 2005.
- In the past five years, Missouri has won more division titles (in an abysmal SEC East) than Georgia. Let that sink in.
- They celebrated when one of our players was nearly mauled by their rabid mascot.
- They couldn’t top Tiger Walk, so they copied it. True story. Dawg Walk? Is the team on a leash?
- They try to conduct our band from their student section during games at Sanford Stadium, and it’s just weird.
- Their mascot has never won a national championship. That’s like, only nine less than Aubie…
- State Rep. (and UGA alum) Earl Ehrhart literally wrote a bill just because Kirby Smart didn’t want to comply with FOI requests.
- Kirby Smart played at Georgia, coached at Alabama, and now coaches at Georgia again. He obviously doesn’t like us, and the feeling’s mutual.
- DAWG BITE AKA THE REAL REASON MARK RICHT WAS FIRED.
- The only people to get into fights more than Georgia players? Georgia coaches.
- I don’t want to sell Georgia short, this rivalry has led to some incredible events. Without them, we never would have had The Prayer in Jordan-Hare, or even this intense upset from 2005. Georgia may have had our number lately, but I think we’re due for some sweet, Southern revenge.
- UPDATE: 40-17. We want Bama.
Have any personal stories about hating Georgia? Comment below or message us on social media @AuburnCampusRec. We always love hearing from y’all.
War Eagle and be well, Auburn.
Photography: Jack P.