Eat Your Greens
This Saint Patrick’s Day, don’t just wear green, eat it too!
Avoid getting pinched and get your nutrients with these spinach quinoa muffins.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease and flour mini muffin tins.
- Whisk flours, salt, baking powder and baking soda, and set aside.
- Blend the spinach with the water in a food processor or blender. When you’ve made one cup of spinach puree, add banana, egg, sugar, oil, extract, zest, and flaxseed. Blend until mixture is uniform.
- Add blended mixture to dry mixture a little at a time. Stir gently just until evenly distributed. Fold in the quinoa.
- Spoon batter into muffin cups, and bake for 10–13 minutes. They’re done when a toothpick comes out dry.
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ teaspoon table salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3-5 cups fresh spinach enough to yield 1 cup puree
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 medium overripe banana
- 1 egg
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Zest of 1 lemon or ½ teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- ½ cup cooked quinoa
Credit to Life Currents (https://lifecurrentsblog.com/spinach-quinoa-muffins/) for the recipe!
Have your own favorite green meal? Let us know in the comments below, or share with us on social media @AuburnCampusRec.
Happy Saint Patrick’s Day, and
Be well, Auburn.
Photography: Michelle M.